I made this recipe for three reasons:
1. I wanted something green for St. Patty’s Day.
2. Cilantro is amazing.
3. Hummus is really easy to make.
I adapted the recipe from this blog post. Here are the ingredients I ended up with:
- 2 (16 oz) cans Garbanzo Beans (keep about 1/2 cup of liquid), drained
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon peanut butter
- The juice of one whole lime (plus any pulp you want to add)
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Add all ingredients (except 2 tablespoons of olive oil) to a food processor or blender and blend until smooth. Yours will no doubt be smoother than mine; my blender died right before the hummus was completely done blending. Boo. Oh, well…a good reason to go out and get a new blender
Finally, scoop the hummus into your favorite serving dish, pour remaining olive oil over the top, garnish with a sprig of cilantro and serve with your favorite crackers or pita chips. Fresh hummus is also great as a spread on your favorite sandwich or wrap.
Yield: approx. 3 cups or 8-10 servings